Director of Student Activities
Belmont Abbey College is seeking an experienced and creative Director of Student Activities. The Director, who reports to the Dean of Student Life, delivers quality extracurricular programs and services for traditional students. The Director will consistently demonstrate skills, attitudes, and stable disposition of character to support the richness of our Catholic and Benedictine identity while fostering the development of mind, body, and spirit in our students, our staff, and the greater community.
The Director of Student Activities is responsible for all aspects of the Office of Student Activities:
- Planning, executing and assessing quality events, entertainment and activities
- Advising a student-led Campus Activities Board
- Constantly garnering feedback from the student population and translating it into programming
- Coordinating Intramural Sports
- Advertising (through print, electronic and in-person) upcoming on-campus events and programs
- Supporting Student Clubs/Organizations to build sustainable programming as well as planning and executing events
- Collaboration with various offices (athletics, academics, campus ministry, residence life, etc) on programming to develop students in mind, body and spirit
- Coordinating new student orientation and recruiting/training of new student mentors
- Facilitate professional development for student organization leaders
- Other duties as assigned
The Director of Student Activities must be able to develop student leaders through a student-centered approach. He/she must lead programming initiatives and students in ways that directly support the Catholic character of the institution. They should understand that their role is directly tied to supporting holistic student development by helping students grow closer to the Benedictine Hallmarks. The position requires an outgoing, charismatic personality that motivates and inspires the enrichment of the Belmont Abbey College community. The successful candidate will possess a broad vision of student programming and a knowledge and comfort level with Catholic teaching in an institution with diverse membership. He/she must have high organizational skills, attention to detail, and an eagerness to roll up the sleeves in planning, managing, executing and overseeing student activities and programming.
Bachelor’s degree required and a Master’s degree is preferred. Experience working in a higher education setting with student activities or related programming area is required, preferably in a small college setting. The Director must have strong communication, organization, creativity, motivational, and interpersonal skills with a self-driven desire for success. Ability to coordinate several different programs at the same time is necessary to this position. The person chosen for the position will support, embrace, and instill the habit of excellence and virtue while fostering the vision of Belmont Abbey College as a Catholic, Benedictine institution that finds glory in the true, the beautiful, and the good. The candidate must be willing to working evening and weekend hours as necessary.