- This interdisciplinary program will help students to gain knowledge of leadership techniques, and to develop the qualities necessary to become leaders in their public and private lives.
You’ll enjoy the Abbey’s Leadership Studies minor if you:
- want to lead others
- desire a career path working with diverse individuals
- are pursuing a major that requires you to make impactful decisions
Leadership Studies is valuable in any career field.
- The Rule of St. Benedict has a lot to say about leadership, especially in its description of the role and duties of the abbot. Students will broaden their horizons to study both the theory and practice of leadership in a range of disciplines and contexts. The optional courses in which students will earn 9 of the 15 required credits will provide them with the opportunity to think about leaders and leadership in their own specific areas of interest, including politics, religion and business.
With a minor in Leadership Studies from Belmont Abbey College, you will be able to more effectively advance in your chosen career path. This minor will greatly assist with careers in areas such as:
- Personal Relations
- Human Resources
The Abbey Difference:
Guided by the tenets of Catholicism and the Benedictine hallmarks, Belmont Abbey College strives to provide its students with a well-rounded education that promotes wise and ethical decisions. The Leadership Studies minor presents students with a strong understanding of the qualities required of good leaders and of the techniques through which leaders have succeeded in the past. This minor will prepare students to become leaders in their careers, civic life and their faith communities.
- HI/LD 320: Leaders & Leadership in the Pre-Modern World
- HI/LD 321: Leaders & Leadership in the Modern World
- BU 300: Management
- BU 401: Organizational Behavior
- BU 407: Management Seminar
- BU 409: Sales and Sales Management
- BU 410: Business and Society
- BU 424: Government Economics and Policy Analysis
- BU 436: Operations Management
- HI 306: Socrates vs. Confucius
- HI 333: World War II
- HI 350: History of the Benedictine Tradition
- HI 380: Antislavery in the Atlantic World
- HI 403: Civil Rights Movement
- IB 318: International Management
- MM 320: Administration and Governance Policy in Motorsport
- MM 340: Motorsport Facility and Event Management
- MM 410: Team Management in Motorsport
- PO 332: The American Presidency
- PO 361: American Political Thought I
- PO 362: American Political Thought II
- SM 310: Organizational Theory and Leadership in Sport
- SM 399: Special Topics: Coaching Management
- TH 401: St. Paul and his Letters
- Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in each course taken for the minor.
- No more than 6 credits counted toward this minor may be counted towards another major or minor program.
- No more than 6 credits from any one discipline may be counted towards the minor.
It is the student’s responsibility to see that all degree requirements for graduation are fulfilled.
Dr. Patrick Wadden
Associate Professor of History
B.A., Trinity College, Dublin
M.St., University of Oxford
D.Phil., University of Oxford